Home

Friday, January 21, 2011

Triathlon training!

                  
I have a new goal!! 


 

(You may notice that I say this a lot.)

 




In order to keep myself motivated I like to mix up my training from week to week. I love trying out new sports and fitness activities and can get just as much enjoyment from a pilates class or Zumba lesson, as a 10km run or gruelling weights session. 2010 brought with it spin classes, bootcamp, stair running, kick boxing, body weight workouts and yoga just to mention a few…

However, this year I am determined to train for and complete my first triathlon. As long distance anything is not my forte, I have decided to go for what seems to be called a ‘sprint’ event. (Whoever decided that swimming 700 metres, cycling 20km and then running 5km was a sprint, probably needs their head checked!). Luckily, I not only have a motivating triathlon buddy but also a very supportive husband, both of whom have been dumped with the role of encouraging me in my latest fitness challenge.
To soften the blow, I have entered a biathlon, run by Andrew Boy Charlton Pool in the city. These biathlon’s run every Thursday evening and involve a 4km run around iconic Mrs Macquarie’s chair, followed by a 300m swim in the Andrew Boy Charlton pool. To me, this sounds much more civilised than an ocean swim and a technical road bike ride.

I'm not new to running, swimming or cycling for that matter, but I also do not excel at any. If I am to complete a triathlon this year without injuring myself or 'burning out', I should probably apply some basic 'tips for success'. (Like most things, I chose a few tips I liked and discarded any that deflated my iron-woman motivation).

1.Don't sweat the technical stuff:

They say this is a sport for everyone. From the well trained iron-man, to the complete beginner. So.... if you are like me and own a very pretty, bright shining bike which you use only to gracefully circle centennial park ..and the only time you have swum more than 700 metres is in your mum's backyard pool, desperate to keep up with broad shouldered and flipper feet husbands...you are ready to enter your first beginner triathlon!

2.Find a training plan that works for you:

After some research I have decided to loosely follow beginner triathlon training guide to help me reach my goals. However, I can’t decide whether to follow the “from couch to 5km” or the "Original Sprint -13 Week To Prepare” section, as I don’t quite fit either.
Each guide suggests a rough plan to follow which slowly builds up your aerobic and muscular fitness. By the time your event comes around, you should comfortably complete the required distance.

3. Rest, Recovery and Sleep:

Three of my favourite words when said in a context of health and fitness. The importance of rest and recovery is something I can vouch for. After a number of knee injuries and a bout of glandular fever, I have finally learned to rest when it is required. Having days where you take a break from workouts or including physical activity in a fun day out, is a great way to stay motivated and ensure your body is ready for it's next challenge.

“Workouts tear the muscles down, and without the opportunity to rebuild, they become weaker instead of stronger”. (Alice Hohol, iron distance triathalete.) Lets remember this and enjoy rest days as much as 'work' days.


Day 1 of my program starts tomorrow, so watch this space for update on my progress and if you like, jump on bored with some training of your own..... I'd love to see you at a race!

No comments:

Post a Comment