Home

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Balmoral stairs :

My New years resolution for 2011 was not only to think of different ways to motivate myself, but also to have others  join me in my fitness adventures. So far I have successfully recruited  two of my colleagues to start the year afresh with some challenging and fun workouts.

I should probably warn you that my idea of ‘fun’ has often been questioned (usually half way through a particularly gruelling burpees sequence or towards the end of a trail run in 30 degree heat). Our first challenge was the deadly ‘Balmoral Stairs’. From the bottom of said staircase, these look daunting and quite possibly unachievable. HOWEVER after completing 2 rounds of stair runs and managing to not pass out or hurl, we were feeling pretty smug and on top of the (fitness) world.



This staircase was rumoured to be used as a training tool on Australia’s ‘Biggest Loser’ and to think that we had accomplished a workout created by trainers Shannon and Michelle, we gave ourselves a metaphorical pat on the back and a serious quadriceps stretch.  I even managed to count the number of stairs while running and i came up with 262 ( you are welcome to correct me if in my fatigued state, i miscalculated) 

This workout is great for cardiovascular fitness as well as muscular endurance. Conveniently there are a couple of platforms mid way up for you to have a rest as required. This can act as tool for interval training and will certainly help to keep your heart guessing. To make the session a tad longer we ran from the bottom of Awaba st Mosman, to the stairs and then jogged back on our return. (2.3km total calculated on a favourite website of mine Map My Run)

The stairs are located across the far side of Balmoral park, close to the skate ramp.


 

They are hard to miss once you have crossed the oval as you will see numerous people walking up and down throughout the day and evening. The stairs close at 8.30pm during daylight saving and 6pm all other months.

My aim by mid year is to be able to complete 5 rounds of the stairs in 1 session.

 

Are you up for the challenge!?

No comments:

Post a Comment