Home

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Heart Rate Monitoring

So it seems that my writing comes in waves. Unless something excites or inspires me, I don't think there is any reason to write about it. Well, after a small draught, I have again found inspiration dear readers and it comes in the form of a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor!

Let me just say that I have been a big fan of the heart rate monitor from the get go.  I originally used it to track the amount of calories I had burnt during a session but my love affair has evolved! Monitoring your heart rate, speed and/or cadence during a training session can be extremely motivating and is a very useful tool when training in your sport of choice. From serious athletes to those of you wanting to track how many more calories before you burn off that burger...... H R monitors are what it's all about!

      Garmin FR60

Advertised as an easy-to-use watch, the Garmin FR60 has a great range of features which I use to track my progress during sessions. The watch can be set for Bike, Run or General fitness and works in sync with tools such as the foot pod and speed/cadence sensor. It has a number of different displays so you can focus specifically on your heart rate or km's covered and receive instant feedback on how hard or fast your are working.



According to a number of reviews, the Garmin FR60 is 98 accurate and compares highly against other similar products. It is water resistant 50m which is perfect for those of us who have a love for a wide range of sports in and out of the water. The watch is easy to calibrate with the extra tools and comes with the USB ANT+ wireless connection so that you can view all your results online using the Garmin software. I will note here that the software is designed primarily for windows (much to my disgust as a preferred Linux user)but can also be used with Mac.

The Garmin package comes with a hard chest strap but a soft one can be purchased for an added cost. There is a male and female version of the watch but both are small and streamlined. I must admit I have only ever tried one other brand of watch, Polar and so far Garmin is a hands down winner!

It is now pretty clear that measuring max heart rate using 220 - age, is far from accurate! However, using it as a general guide may be helpful for beginners or those who are not too serious about training. For those looking for something more accurate check out this article by Joe Friel.

Monitoring how hard your heart is working during a session is a great indicator of cardiovascular fitness. By keeping a record or log of this data over time you can then start to pin point your ideal 'training zones' and the levels at which you need to train to improve your fitness. The monitor will measure your average and your max heart rate as well as your speed over the entire session. It will calculate calories burnt and distance travelled and present to you a calibrated graph of all these results.... it may only be a matter of time before it cooks and cleans for you as well!

A lot of trainers will use HR monitors to keep track of clients progress and to encourage and motivate by showing them something tangible. I wear my monitor during most workouts these days and have even been known to challenge fellow wearers to a a heart rate 'duel'. Heart Rate monitoring has added a new dimension to my training and I never get tired of coming home after a session and having my hard work show up clearly on the screen for all to see!
Be Inspired!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    Boot Camp Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good information..because Avalon Organics Deodorant Vitamins and Supplement at HerbsCity on Discount Price.
    Avalon Organics Deodorant

    ReplyDelete