Home

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rest and Recovery. What every fitness addict hates to hear but needs to learn!

I am speaking from first had experience with this one. Over the last month or so I have felt that my body has ' given up'. I have been wondering why my workouts and new running routes have not been giving me the usual excitement and challenge I have become so used to. Yoga sounds like a bore, stair running makes me dizzy and the very thought of completing a triathlon makes me want to curl up and hide!

Most people who know me or have trained with me will tell you that I am fairly motivated and consistent with my training. What I am not so great at, is taking a break to let my body recover. I am the first to admit that I have been guilty of living by the "more is better motto". I often feel that if I am not drowning in a pool of sweat, aching the next day or burning 100's of calories, then the workout has been a waste of time. Well my friends..... my body has won this time and has not been shy in telling me to SLOW DOWN!

Rest and recovery is a vital part of any training. The muscles need time to repair themselves, in order to build up bigger and stronger in the long term. Exercising at a high intensity, too often will likely cause a prolonged state of raised cortisol levels ( a hormone which is produced in response to stress on the body). "High cortisol levels increase muscle protein breakdown and inhibit protein synthesis (building up muscle proteins)". So essentially by over-training, we are doing ourselves more damage than good and are going no where to achieving our fitness goals.
With this in mind, I went on the search for a well balanced workout schedule including good amounts of rest and recovery. Dr Mercola suggests the following:
  1. Minimum 2/1 easy to hard workout ratio (easy = maintaining easy conversation while exercising)
  2. 1-2 moderate workouts with 2 days in between (moderate = can speak in words but not sentences)
  3. 1-2 hard workouts with 3 day's in between.(hard = impossible to talk during workout)
We are all going to have 'good and bad' days with our training but please refrain from over-training and give your body the rest it needs! I need you with me to continue our goals towards a fitter and healthier life!

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed important to strike a balance between working out regularly and straining yourself. Once you get used to regular exercise, it gives you such a high that it becomes an addiction. That’s why it’s vital you remain alert to any warning signals your body sends out such as minor niggles and pains and tiring out quicker than before during exercise routines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to reading your post. This is a nice blog. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such nice information. I will truly add this nice post in our article section. Bootcamp.

    ReplyDelete